Jhon Pablo Marín Yusty, Carlos Andrés Ramírez Castillo



The Application of the Rosenberg Scale for Self-Esteem Test, in Delegates from the Network of Women Victims of the Armed Conflict of Tuluá, Valle Del Cauca - Colombia

pdf PDF


The objective of the study was to investigate on the self-esteem in a group of Women victims of the armed conflict, organized in a support Network called Red de Mujeres Victimas del Municipio de Tuluá –Valle del Cauca (Network of Women Victims of the Municipality of Tuluá - Valle del Cauca), which included a total of 19 women between the ages of 35 and 65. This organization was created with the support of the Unidad Central del Valle (UCEVA by its acronym in Spanish) – Facultad de Ciencias Jurídicas y Humanísticas – Consultorio Jurídico (Faculty of Legal and Humanistic Sciences - Legal Aid Clinic), From the very beginning the Rosenberg questionnaire was applied, this test explores self-esteem understood as feelings of personal worth and self-respect, in a scale consisting of 10 items or phrases in which 5 are stated in a positive manner and 5 in negative, to counteract the effect of self-administered acquiescence, the score is 1 to 4 each item, the first 5 items in positive, A is equivalent to 4 and D to 1, and in items 6 to 10, the score is inverted, being A equivalent to 1 and D to 4. The results are interpreted in this way: From 30 to 40 points: High self-esteem - Normal; 26 to 29 points: Average self-esteem, without serious self-esteem problems but improvement is advisable. And less than 25 points: Low self-esteem where there are significant self-esteem problems. The participants of the Network of Women Victims are being assisted as an organization from the Legal Aid Clinic focusing on three main areas: On the one hand, training and technical legal assistance in terms of protection, enforceability and restitution of rights as victims of the conflict and citizens; Secondly, the management of complimentary offers for the improvement of women's quality of life, consisting of courses aimed to facilitate income generation developed by the National Learning Service, Servicio Nacional de Aprendizaje (SENA By its acronym in Spanish), contact with dance and yoga teachers so as to generate alternative spaces for women's play and physical activity, and finally the recovery and psycho-emotional strengthening of women, from where a line of research emerges focused on capacities and alternatives created and affirmed from women's daily lives to overcome the impact of violence on their lives. Most of the women are functional alphabets, even counting 2 who cannot read or write and 3 others who are high school graduates with SENA certificates, women heads of household, 5 with grandchildren in charge, socioeconomic stratum 1 and 2, in this sense the Scale was applied as a basic instrument of easy assimilation and comprehension. It was concluded that 90% (17) of the women have a high self-esteem, the remaining 10% (2) of the women have a medium self-esteem, affirming their mental strength to cope with the pressure of their daily lives, the impact of armed conflict on their lives is associated with material and human losses, quality of life that they have not been able to recover for which they struggle on a daily basis. The study states that the strengthening of self-esteem as a daily practice is crucial to empower women in their role as promoters of integral reparation.


Self-esteem, Victims of armed conflict, Post Traumatic Stress


Cite this paper

Jhon Pablo Marín Yusty, Carlos Andrés Ramírez Castillo. (2019) The Application of the Rosenberg Scale for Self-Esteem Test, in Delegates from the Network of Women Victims of the Armed Conflict of Tuluá, Valle Del Cauca - Colombia. International Journal of Cultural Heritage, 4, 1-5


Copyright © 2018 Author(s) retain the copyright of this article.
This article is published under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0